Eastman Kodak No. 9 enjoyed a colorful career in Chicago before coming to New York and working for Kodak. The RS-1 was a 1,000hp road switcher model manufactured by the American Locomotive Company of Schenectady, New York, between 1941 and 1960, enjoying the longest production run of any commerically produced diesel locomotive. These versatile locomotives helped lead the way as American railroads converted from steam to diesel in the postwar years.
Our Alco RS-1 was originally built for the Chicago & Western Indiana in February 1950 as No. 260. The C&WI was the terminal railroad for Dearborn Station in Chicago. Dearborn Station was home to several railroads including the Erie Railroad and the Santa Fe. Our locomotive has probably touched couplers with the Erie Limited more than once in its lifetime as part of its duties as a terminal switcher. In 1971, the unit was purchased by the Genesee & Wyoming Railroad who quickly resold it to the Eastman Kodak Company.
EK 9 was purchased by the Eastman Kodak Company in 1971 and was delivered to the Kodak Park Railroad in November of that year to serve the sprawling film and camera manufacturing facility in Rochester. After serving the industrial railroad for more than 25 years, the museum was fortunate to obtain a second donation of a historic locomotive from the Eastman Kodak Company. On October 14, 1997, the locomotive was given to the museum by Kodak in an official ceremony at the museum. No. 9 joins former Eastman Kodak Company GE 80-tonner No. 6 which has served as the backbone of the museum’s diesel fleet for more than 20 years.
The unit saw limited service on the museum’s railroad during the warmer months until being drained for the winter. The unit is currently stored pending a repair to the main air reservoir, draft gear, and wheel profiles. The Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum would like to thank the Eastman Kodak Company for their generous donation and continued support of our organization and museum.
- Built by Alco in February 1950
- Serial No. 77951
- 1,000hp Alco 539T prime mover
- Chicago & Western Indiana #260 (1950)
- Genesee & Wyoming #44 (1971)
- Eastman Kodak Co. #9 (1971)
- Donated to Rochester Chapter NRHS in 1997
- Eastman Kodak #9 Starting
All is quiet until we hear the click of the Control switch followed by the fuel pump switch. After the fuel pressure is up, the engine start button is pressed and EK9’s Alco 539 engine roars to life.
- Eastman Kodak #9 Departing Industry Yard
After three horn blasts and to the sound of the bell, EK9 lifts itself out of the yard. Listen to the engine throttle up and the turbo whine as the engine accelerates up the hill out of the museum’s yard.
- Eastman Kodak #9 Passing Switch #6
After climbing the hill of our Industry Yard, EK#9 clears the points at Switch #6 and begins to accelerate down the museum’s mainline. After climbing a short grade, the engine throttles down only to have to throttle back up to climb the next small grade.
- Eastman Kodak #9 Idling
Listen to our Alco RS-1, Eastman Kodak #9, idle as it sits in the R&GV Railroad Museum’s Industry yard waiting for its next assignment. .