Brooklyn Navy Yard #12 was originally built in 1918 by the Vulcan Locomotive Works in Wilkes-Barre, PA for the Brooklyn Navy Yard who gave it a new boiler in 1931. Near the end of the steam era in 1947, it was acquired by the Dexter & Northern, a long since abandoned shortline in the Adirondacks. While there it was given a new set of flues in 1955 by contract with the nearby New York Central. In the 1970's, it passed to Owego, NY where it was operated at a local amusement park operation. In the early 1970's, it was acquired for the Tioga Transportation Museum and moved to Flemingville, NY, just a few miles north of Owego. At Flemingville, #12 was operated in occasional Sunday service on a private siding from about 1971 to 1991. Following the loss of a boiler tube, the locomotive was stored on the siding before being donated and moved to the museum.
On November 4, 1997, a crew from the museum, with help from Mendon Enterprises trucking, headed to Flemingville, NY to load and move #12 to the museum's location in Rush, NY. The locomotive was successfully moved and is now at the museum undergoing restoration to operation.
- Vulcan Locomotive Works - Wilkes-Barre, PA
- Built 1918
- 0-4-0T Saddletanker
- 45 tons fully serviceable
- Coal burner
- S/N #2854
- BNY #12 in service in 1988
It is August 1988 and we find the R&GV Railroad Museum's ex-BNY Vulcan #12 0-4-0T steam engine in service at the Newark Valley, NY depot. Hear #12 blow for a grade crossing and pass us with a coach and caboose in tow. Taken from a video tape shot in 1988 of #12 in service.
- Moving BNY #12 - Part 1: Loading up!
Without a locomotive to shove the locomotive on to the trailer, a block and tackle system was used to pull the locomotive on a trailer..
- Moving BNY #12 - Part 2: Unloading
We see the engine arrive at the museum, the trailer positioned, and then the engine pulled off of the trailer using the museum's General Electric ex-Rochester Gas & Electric 45-tonner locomotive #1941.