Rochester Gas & Electric No. 8 was built by General Electric in 1967 to promote its new line of modern heavy-duty industrial switchers. Our particular unit features narrow hoods on either side of the cab, part of Phase IV-B1 produced between May 1962 and September 1969. Originally constructed as a “demonstrator” unit that toured the country testing on various railroads, it was eventually assigned to the GE plant in Pittsfield, Mass. In 1988, it was acquired by the Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum in Lenox, Mass., where it ran in occasional excursion service. The unit received its sharp black, orange, and white paint scheme while at BSRM.
Sold to Rochester Gas & Electric in 1991, the No. 8 worked at Russell Station in Charlotte until operations at that plant were phased out. RG&E donated the locomotive, along with RG&E 1950, to our museum in 2008. All three locomotives owned by RG&E are now part of our museum collection.
While it was received in operational condition, No. 8 has been taken out of service so repairs can be made to the air brake system, and the motor brushes can be replaced. Our long-term goal is to restore the locomotive to its GE demonstrator colors.
- General Electric 110-ton
- Built: October 1967
- Builder’s Number: 36324
- General Electric #8 (Pittsfield, MA)
- Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum #8 (1988)
- Rochester Gas & Electric #8 (1991)
- Donated to R&GVRRM 2008